A handheld massager can have various benefits. It can help with your lower back problems, and it can also relieve your muscle pains.
That is why we asked experts to recommend some of the best handheld massagers that work effectively.
Table of Contents
- Hyperice Hypervolt
- Theragun G3PRO Percussive Therapy Device
- Compact Percussion Handheld Heated Massager
- TheraFlow Handheld Deep Tissue Percussion Massager
- Frequently Asked Questions
Dr. Todd Peterson
Former Collegiate and Professional Athlete | Chiropractor | Owner, Axial Spine & Wellness
Like any product, getting the best handheld massager is all about knowing your goals and what you want to get out of the product. This market has boomed with cross-fitters and runners continuing to demand new ways to apply manual therapies independent of therapists and trainers.
There are a number of things to consider, such as price point, noise levels, frequency and power settings, as well as the look and portability of the device.
For my clinic, we chose the Hyperice Hypervolt. It’s a combination of price, reasonable decibel level, and options for varying frequency of percussion were the best match for what we needed.
The fact it doesn’t just look like a Sawzall with a lacrosse ball stuck on the end of it is an added benefit. I know there are some that may be more powerful, or less noisy, but for its price point, the hypervolt is the closest to thing to a total package in a portable myofascial massager.
Dr. Jason Wersland
Theragun G3PRO Percussive Therapy Device
Theragun is the percussion therapy device used by most of the NBA teams, and many in the NFL, MLB, NHL and pro golf as well.
Theragun is the original percussion therapy tool, a hard-hitting therapy device that sends a reverberating percussion therapy to sore tissue faster than pain nerves deliver signals to the brain.
The result is pain mitigation and relief from sore muscles, and a warm-up to working out. Recovery after performances and workouts is accelerated. Cramps experienced during physical activities are almost immediately reduced or eliminated.
Every Theragun houses a powerful industrial-grade Japanese motor engineered to precisely deliver 16 mm of Amplitude at a speed of 40 percussions per second on the body. We carefully tested this calibration of depth and speed to ensure our devices offer the most effective professional-grade percussive therapy treatment available for pain relief, enhanced performance, and accelerated recovery.
Over 250 professional sports teams in over 50 countries use Theragun.
Compact Percussion Handheld Heated Massager
When considering a handheld massager is one of the most important things to consider is how easy it is to use on your own back. Having a long enough handle to reach those areas on your back that require regular massage is important.
Battery-powered is not recommended or necessary when purchasing a handheld massager. Having a corded massager that plugs into the wall will last longer and is better for the environment than one that requires batteries. A wall plug massager will also give a stronger massage when compared to a battery-powered counterpart.
Beauty Expert | Founder, Nail Art Gear
TheraFlow Handheld Deep Tissue Percussion Massager
This powerful deep tissue massager will take the knots out of your tight muscles, boost up blood circulation, and relieve stress and pain.
The ergonomically designed piece is lightweight and very comfortable to use for both men and women. It even comes with an adjustable massager speed option, as well as 3 silicone massage attachments, which makes it a great value for the price.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a handheld massager?
A handheld massager is a device designed to provide relief from stress and muscle pain. It’s essentially a portable, handheld tool that you can use to massage yourself or someone else.
Handheld massagers come in various shapes, sizes, and designs, and they usually have a handle and a massaging head that can be used on different body parts. Some popular types of handheld massagers include percussion massagers, deep tissue massagers, and electric massagers.
Using a handheld massager is a great way to take care of yourself, especially after a long day at work or after a workout. Massaging can help to increase blood flow, relieve muscle tension, and reduce stress levels. It’s also a great way to relax and unwind after a long day.
How do I choose a good massager?
Choosing the right handheld massager can be a bit overwhelming, with so many different options available on the market. But don’t worry, with a few key considerations in mind, you can find the perfect massager for your needs.
• Purpose: Consider what you want to use the massager for. Do you want to relieve muscle pain, reduce stress, or just unwind after a long day? Different types of massagers are designed for various purposes, so choosing one that meets your specific needs is important.
• Features: Look for features that suit your needs, such as adjustable speed, various massage heads, and cordless design. Some massagers also have heat functions, which can enhance the massage experience.
• Budget: Handheld massagers can range from affordable to high-end, so consider your budget when deciding. Keep in mind that a higher price tag doesn’t always guarantee a better massager.
• Brand reputation: Choose a brand with a good reputation for quality and customer service. Research the brand’s customer reviews and ratings to better understand the product’s performance and reliability.
How often should I use a massager?
The frequency of using a handheld massager depends on several factors, including your lifestyle, physical activity level, and overall health. Here are a few general guidelines to help you determine how often you should use a massager:
• For relaxation and stress relief: If you’re using a massager primarily for relaxation and stress relief, you can use it as often as you’d like. Some people find that using a massager once or twice a week is enough to help them unwind and reduce stress. Others may use it daily or multiple times a day.
• For muscle pain and soreness: If you’re using a massager to relieve muscle pain and soreness, it’s best to use it as soon as you feel discomfort. You can also use it regularly, especially after physical activity, to help prevent muscle pain and soreness from developing.
• For injury recovery: If you’re using a massager to help recover from an injury, you should follow your doctor’s recommendations. They may advise using a massager several times a day or only once a day, depending on the severity of your injury.
Can handheld massagers be used for all body parts?
Yes, handheld massagers can be used on many different parts of the body. They are versatile and can be used to relieve tension, improve blood flow, and promote relaxation in a variety of areas.
Some of the most common body parts to use a handheld massager include the neck, back, legs, feet, and arms. However, you can also use them on other areas, such as the shoulders, hips, and even the temples.
When using a handheld massager on a specific body part, it’s crucial to choose the right type of massager for your needs. For example, a deep tissue massager may be more effective for relieving tension in the back, while a lighter, electric massager may be better for a relaxing foot massage.
Can handheld massagers be used for people with medical conditions?
Handheld massagers can greatly relieve stress and muscle pain for many people, including those with medical conditions. However, it’s important to consider your specific medical condition and any potential contraindications before using a handheld massager.
If you have a medical condition, you should consult your doctor before using a handheld massager. Some medical conditions can increase your risk of injury or make it more difficult to use a massager safely.
If you have a specific injury or pain, such as a herniated disk, you may want to avoid using a massager on that area or seek the advice of a physical therapist. A physical therapist can help you choose the right type of massager for your needs and show you how to use it correctly.
Are handheld massagers safe?
Handheld massagers are generally safe for most people when used as directed. However, as with any tool or device, you must use a handheld massager safely and responsibly to avoid injury.
Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind when using a handheld massager:
• Consult with your doctor: If you have any medical conditions or concerns, it’s best to consult with your doctor before using a handheld massager. This will help you avoid any potential contraindications and ensure that the massager is safe to use.
• Use the massager as directed: Always read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions and safety warnings when using a handheld massager. This will help you to use the massager correctly and avoid any potential injuries.
• Start slowly: When using a handheld massager for the first time, start with a gentle touch and gradually increase the pressure as needed. This will help you avoid overdoing it and causing any discomfort or injury.
• Don’t use the massager on inflamed or injured areas: If you have any cuts, bruises, or other injuries, avoid using the massager on that area until it has fully healed.
Can handheld massagers replace professional massage?
Handheld massagers can certainly provide some relief and relaxation, but they can’t replace the experience of a professional massage.
Professional massages are performed by trained therapists who use various techniques to help release tension and alleviate pain. They also have the ability to target specific areas and address individual needs, such as sports injuries or chronic pain.
On the other hand, handheld massagers are designed to be convenient and self-administered. They can provide a quick and easy way to massage yourself, but they lack the precision and customization that a professional massage offers.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?