15-year-old boy: “Last year I was in love. She didn’t like me, and I suffered. What I didn’t do is to follow her around like a puppy… my grandmother told me to wait until I’m not in love with that girl… My grandmother is wise; she was right. I forget all about my grief in a few short months.”
When we fall in love with people that don’t love us back, we think we can’t help it. However, even though you can’t control with whom you fell in love, you have a bit of control if you stay in love.
Love is chemical. When you fell in love with the right person, your brain producers happy chemicals and happy thoughts. Yet, when you fell in love with the wrong person, the love you feel becomes poisonous.
15-year-old girl: “I’m in love with a classmate. He ignores me like I don’t exist… But he’s so cute… I must do whatever it takes for us to be together… I was sad that he doesn’t like me, but now I’m angry; he must, he must like me; otherwise, my life is over.”
45-year-old wife and mother: “I’m still in love with my husband. Sadly for me, he’s in love with the secretary. My sister tells me to leave him because he doesn’t deserve me. I wish things to be that easy. I can’t just pick up things and go. I have responsibilities; my children need their father, and (to be quite honest) I can’t imagine my life without him.”
Those who have never loved someone that didn’t respond whit love, can’t imagine a life together with someone that loves somebody else. However, love and life are not always simple and straightforward. Sometimes, things get complicated, and you might feel you have no choice.
Listen, happiness is a choice. It’s a choice not by waking up in the morning and saying “today I choose to be happy”; it’s a choice buy waking up in the morning and saying to yourself “today I’ll have the behaviors and actions that bring me happiness.”
In full honesty, I don’t know anyone who has never loved someone that didn’t love them back. Do you? We all get through that at a point or another in our life. But the sooner, the better; sooner things are less complicated; sooner, loving someone who doesn’t deserve you is just chemicals in your body; later, those chemicals are followed by negative thoughts and fears (sometimes the scary idea of ending up lonely).
So, the best thing you can do is to put an end to your misery as soon as possible. Yes, it might be hard but not impossible.
However, until the day you can say “I had enough of this; I want sunshine in my life”, check out the following 15 of the best quotes about loving someone who doesn’t love you back so that you understand you’re not alone and how others get through it.
1. I hate it when I can’t stop thinking about that one person and deep down inside I know they probably haven’t thought about me once.
2. The biggest weakness of a person is not being selfish, amorous, wild or egotistical, but stubbornly loving someone who doesn’t love you.
This quote is so true! Yes, love requires you to be selfless, tolerance and understanding… But that is true only when the love you feel is a two-way street – your love is rewarded with being loved. Therefore, when you think you’re not loved, know that you’re alone in that relationship. You are the one, the only one, walking both lanes. Get selfish in the sense that you think of yourself, protecting yourself and start walking a different path.
3. I was so in love with you that I ignored how horribly you treated me.
4. You broke my heart into millions of pieces and still I cannot blame you for feeling this way.
5. If you constantly have to tell someone the same exact thing about how you feel and they don’t change it, understand they don’t respect you.
6. Unrequited love is the hardest of them all, hoping for something that might never just happen.
When we love someone that doesn’t love us back, for a while, we are optimistic and do all sorts of things that don’t make us proud. As time is passing, if you don’t put an end to your misery, you might feel that love is something creepy, something to be avoided because it’s too hard to bear.
Perhaps, you have no control over who you love… If that is true, the other person doesn’t either. And, if you (really) think about it, it’s easier to control who not to love than who you want to love. Is it not?
7. There’s a difference between someone who wants you and someone who would do anything to keep you. Remember that.
8. I will never be good enough for you. I got that.
9. And then karma whispered: “You’ll fall in love with someone who will not love you back, for not loving someone who did”
10. It’s hard to admit that someone doesn’t love you back. So, you hold on to them until you have no choice but to admit it.
11. You stabbed me then pretended you were the one who was bleeding.
12. Don’t feel sad over someone who gave up on you, feel sorry for them because they gave up on someone who would have never given up on them.
13. It’s better to have nobody than to have someone who is half there or doesn’t want to be there.
14. Trying to be friends with someone who you know will never love you back hurts. Being around them makes you simultaneously the happiest and saddest you’ve ever been.
15. No, no you don’t get it. Loving someone that doesn’t love you back is one thing. Loving someone who you think loves you back, then finding out they never did is a completely different thing. It crushes you. You think everything is great, and you’re so happy, then everything is ripped right out from underneath you. It hurts like hell, and you’ll never get it until you experience it.