Jalal al-Din Rumi, or most widely known as Rumi, was a 13th-century Persian poet who’s originally from the Balkh (present-day Afghanistan). His poems, quotes, and sayings are well known for being compelling, thought-provoking, wise, and powerful.
Rumi has a massive following around the world and has been defined as the “most popular poet” and regarded as the “best selling poet” in the USA. Not only that, his writings have been extensively translated to many various languages, including French, Spanish, Italian, German, Turkish, Russian, and Urdu.
Rumi’s work continues to resonate up until this day, and his teachings transcend time. His timeless views about life and love continue to motivate people from all over the world.
Below is our compilation of the most inspirational Rumi quotes and sayings about love, beauty, hurt, and so much more that will open up your mind and make you see the bright side of life.
Table of Contents
Rumi Quotes About Love
1. “The garden of love is green without limit and yields many fruits other than sorrow or joy. Love is beyond either condition: without spring, without autumn, it is always fresh.”
2. “The moment I first heard love I gave up my soul, my heart, and my eyes.”
3. “This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet.”
4. “The minute I heard my first love story, I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was. Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere. They’re in each other all along.”
5. “However much I might try to expound or explain Love, when I come to Love itself, I am ashamed of my explanations… Love alone can explain the mysteries of love and lovers.”
6. “May this marriage be full of laughter, our every day in paradise.”
7. “Through Love, all that is bitter will be sweet, Through Love, all that is copper will be gold, Through Love, all dregs will become wine, through Love all pain will turn to medicine.”
8. “May these vows and this marriage be blessed.”
9. “We are born of love; Love is our mother.
Plant the love of the holy ones within your spirit; don’t give your heart to anything, but the love of those whose hearts are glad.”
10. “Everyone has been made for some particular work, and the desire for that work has been put in every heart.”
11. “Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.”
Rumi Quotes About Hurt
1. “Grief can be the garden of compassion. If you keep your heart open through everything, your pain can become your greatest ally in your life’s search for love and wisdom.”
2. “Something opens our wings. Something makes boredom and hurt disappear. Someone fills the cup in front of us: We taste only sacredness.”
3. “It may be that the satisfaction I need depends on my going away so that when I’ve gone and come back, I’ll find it at home.”
4. “Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.”
Rumi Quotes About Beauty
1. “Everything that is made beautiful and fair and lovely is made for the eye of one who sees.”
2. “Beauty surrounds us, but usually, we need to be walking in a garden to know it.”
3. “Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.”
Rumi, More Quotes And Sayings
1. “The way the Beloved can fit in my heart, two thousand lives could fit in this body of mine. One kernel could contain a thousand bushels, and a hundred worlds pass through the eye of the needle.”
2. “Woman is a ray of God. She is not that earthly beloved: she is creative, not created.”
3. “There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the ground; there are a thousand ways to go home again.”
4. “You’ve come to know the fortunate and the inauspicious stars, but you don’t know whether you yourself are fortunate or lucky.”
5. “I have seen the king with a face of Glory, He who is the eye and the sun of heaven, He who is the companion and healer of all beings, He who is the soul and the universe that births souls.”
6. “Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.”
7. “When I die, I shall soar with angels, and when I die to the angels, what I shall become you cannot imagine.”
8. “I am neither of the East nor of the West, no boundaries exist within my breast.”
9. “Beg of God the removal of envy, that God may deliver you from externals, and bestow upon you an inward occupation, which will absorb you so that your attention is not drawn away.”
10. “This is the essence of all sciences – that you should know who you will be when the Day of Reckoning arrives.”
11. “When someone beats a rug, the blows are not against the rug, but against the dust in it.”
May the above quotes by Rumi help you achieve comfort and inner peace in life. If you want to know more about his writings and other works, we would suggest you read The Essential Rumi.