These powders contain a healthy combination of plants that are designed to help you secure your daily dose of health-boosting vitamins and minerals. It’s even made more accessible since you can mix it to your beverage of choice and you can drink it on-the-go!
To help us be more informed about the benefits of green superfood powders and what brands to look out for, we asked experts to give us their recommendations.
Let’s have a look:
Dr. Alvin Berger (MS, Ph. D, Prof)
Co-founder, LifeSense Products | Nutritionist | Lipid Biochemist
The criteria I use to evaluate and judge the accolades of a green “Superfood Powder” are:
- Is the taste acceptable? Taste is king. If the taste is awful, usually too bitter, then I will need to make extra efforts to enjoy, such as mixing with less bitter components that are still healthy.
- Are there added sugars or other sweeteners added to the greens, and if so what are they, and how much? The added sugars should be no more than 10 grams on the higher end.
- Is the powder readily soluble or dispersible? The powder should be easily dispersible with mild agitation ideally, with minimal non-clumping agents.
- Organic: I prefer all components be organic and I am willing to pay for it. Practically, acceptable if most of the components are organic. USDA-certified organic is best.
- Sustainability: I prefer all components are from sustainable sources and indicated.
- Non-GMO: I am not a fanatic about non-GMO, and a mixture of non-GMO and GMO is acceptable.
- Exoticness and Ancient wisdom: I am usually unimpressed by stories about how our ancients used a particular rare green superfood. I think this is over-hyped. Most of the high-quality greens are loaded with beneficial ingredients. Just because some greens are from an exotic forest, does not necessarily make them better.
- ORAC scores: this is a measure of antioxidant status and should represent a weighted average of the entire powder. Most any high quality green “superfood” will have a high ORAC score, but choosing one powder over another on the basis of ORAC is not part of my decision making because physiologically in our bodies, it would be challenging and unlikely to see an advantage of one product over another.
- Price: I am willing to pay extra for organic, sustainable, fresh, local, clean and natural; not willing to pay extra for higher ORAC per item 8 above, and “exoticness of the storyline.
Physician | Hormone Expert
The Mighty Maca with the everyday person in mind. Most of us do not receive nearly enough vitamins and nourishment on a daily basis.
Mighty Maca is the super-food green drink with over 40 amazing ingredients, making it an ideal Green Super-food Powder and is perfect for those who are health conscious and looking to live their happiest and healthiest life!
Its ingredients will help:
- Increase stamina and boosts energy.
- Aid metabolism and improves digestion.
- Fight inflammation and decreases hot flashes.
- Help with mood disorders, PMS, and menopause symptoms.
- Strengthen libido and improves fertility.
Performance Nutrition Expert | Researcher & Creator, Living Fuel
Incorporating green superfood powders into your diet is one of the smartest things you can do for your health and your life.
First of all, it’s a real time saver and the benefits you receive in terms of supercharging your body with energy and essential nutrients cannot be duplicated through the consumption of any other food option. But not all green superfood powders are the same. Some skimp on nutrition and are nothing more than a healthy little snack.
The best green superfood powders foods not only replace your meal but give you more from a nutritional standpoint than you would have eaten otherwise. Those are the ones high in protein, fiber, and broad-spectrum antioxidants and also contain digestive enzymes, probiotics and optimized levels of all 53 essential nutrients.
The best green superfood powders are ideal for a making a quick breakfast smoothie that satisfies your hunger with the proper ratio of protein, fats, and carbohydrates that keep your cravings at bay. That will keep you on track and help you avoid a mid-morning run to the snack machine at work.
In addition to saving time, these smoothies can be strategically used to replace your normal supplement routine. Loading up on nutrition with a high-quality green superfood powder will give you some flexibility when it comes to your other meals during the day. They are also great for traveling.
But make sure the green superfood powder you select is made from organic and non-GMO foods free of pesticides and heavy metals. Otherwise, you run the risk of compromising your health while thinking you are doing something good.
Yoga Teacher | Wellness Coach | Intuitive Healer
I’m obsessed with Sun Potion green powders, especially their chlorella (instant energy burst), moringa (anxiety relief), and ashitaba (vegan blood builder). Their sources are fair-trade and organic where possible (their chlorella is organically grown in Taiwan; moringa is organically grown in India; their ashitaba is sourced from Taiwan).
I use the blend to make a dupe of my favorite kombucha, Health-Ade Power Greens, by stirring a 1/2 tsp of each powder into my jars during second fermentation and definitely notice more of a glowing in my skin along with smoother energy.
I recommend it to my clients, particularly ashitaba for those who are converting to a vegan diet and concerned about their iron sources.
Health Coach and Personal Trainer | Founder, HighEnergyGirl.com
Maca is a wonderful ingredient, not found in most green powders and is helpful for us women, in the hot years, to help with menopausal symptoms. Maca is a super-root that grows in the high Andes of Peru and it was used by the ancient Incas as both food and medicine. I love the way it gives me energy and I have noticed a definite improvement in my libido as well.
Mighty Maca also includes 15 other superfoods that can help reduce inflammation, improve digestion, boost immunity, aid metabolism, detoxify the body. These include spirulina, mangosteen, resveratrol, milk thistle, kelp, green tea, and more. I believe it is the cinnamon and licorice that give it the delicious flavor.
There are many great green powders on the market today. However, many of them taste bad. This leads to a lack of commitment in drinking them each day. I used to have to force myself to gag the other brands down. Since I have found Mighty Maca, I look forward to my glass of green drink every morning.
Personal Trainer, Ultimate Performance
Most greens powders fall into two camps – nutrient-dense, but taste awful, or great-tasting, but laden with sugar and additives.
Chocotrients is unique in that it has the ideal balance of both – a nutrient-rich superfood formula blended with a deep chocolate flavor, without added sugar.
The taste makes it feel like an indulgence but at 45 calories per serving it ticks every box for health-conscious consumers looking to optimize their diet with extra fiber, probiotics, natural fruit and vegetable extracts, vitamins, antioxidants, and phytonutrients.
Anthony Hudson NSCA, CSCS
Founder, Hudson Hustle
Green superfood powders automatically sound nasty, right!? Wrong!
There are at least 5 different options I have tried in the past. Most are either chalky or chunky and require that you mix them with some kind of juice in order to avoid the taste and choke them down. In addition, adding any juice defeats the purpose.
Finally, I found something that tastes so good even my picky 8 and 3-year-olds drink it. The best superfood greens powder I have ever used is the Opt-Greens 50 from 1stPhorm.
It is great tasting even with just water and mixes well in just a shaker cup. I’ve noticed less bloating now that I use it every day and it helps me when I get tired of eating my broccoli. In addition to filling the void of eating veggies, it also contains probiotics, and digestive
enzymes to help detoxify your body, balance pH levels and boost energy levels. Not to mention 100% non-GMO and 110% money back guarantee on the product.
Health & Wellness Expert, Maple Holistics
Green Vibrance by Vibrant Health
This superfood is packed with ingredients that support your immunity, circulation, digestion, and overall nutrition. It contains everything from holy basil, astragalus, goji berries to over 25 billion probiotics. It’s a non-GMO, plant-based powder that gives you the nutrient-dense version of the greens you need in a balanced diet.
Smart Pressed Organic Greens Superfoods
This juice powder has a blend of wheat grass, barley grass, and alfalfa. It also contains adaptogens and alkalizing sea vegetables as well as probiotics and enzymes. Basically, it’s an intense blend of revitalizing superfoods for a natural detox, healthy immune system, and an energy boost.