Budgeting is one of the key pillars of getting on top of your finances. Whether you’re at the beginning of your financial journey or consider yourself wealthy, following a strict budget is imperative to sustainable financial success.
Our list of the 52 best budgeting quotes is the result of wise budgeters from all walks of life, including politicians to entrepreneurs and everything in between.
The following quotes all tell us what it means to follow a budget. If you’ve ever wondered what a budget means, what they’re for, or why it’s so important, then the wise words ahead should clear things up.
1. “Budgeting is not just for people who do not have enough money. It is for everyone who wants to ensure that their money is enough.” – Rosette Mugidde Wamambe
2. “Doing a budget means learning an ancient and powerful word: NO.” – Dave Ramsey
3. “A budget is telling your money where to go, instead of wondering where it went.” – John Maxwell
4. “Don’t tell me where your priorities are. Show me where you spend your money and I’ll tell you what they are.” – James W. Frick
5. “A budget is more than just a series of numbers on a page; it is an embodiment of our values.” – Barack Obama
6. “Low budgets force you to be more creative. Sometimes, with too much money, time, and equipment, you can over-think. My way, you can use your gut instinct.” – Robert Rodriguez
7. “Budgeting only has one rule; Do not go over budget.” – Leslie Tayne
8. “The budget is not just a collection of numbers, but an expression of our values and aspirations.” – Jacob Lew
9. “In the charitable world as in the business world, opportunities should drive budgets, not the other way around.” – George Kaiser
10. “A budget tells us what we can’t afford, but it doesn’t stop us from buying it.” – William Feather
11. “Budgets are nothing if not statements of priorities.” – Jeff Merkley
Now you know what a budget is and why you should be using one, but actually making that commitment is sometimes another story altogether. If that sounds familiar, then you might just be missing a little motivation.
Thankfully, the great minds of Mark Cuban to Coco Chanel have you covered with these motivational budgeting quotes.
1. “The more your money works for you, the less you have to work for money.” – Idowu Koyenikan
2. “There are people who have money and people who are rich.” – Coco Chanel
3. “The speed of your success is limited only by your dedication and what you’re willing to sacrifice” – Nathan W. Morris
4. “It’s not your salary that makes you rich; it’s your spending habits.” – Charles A. Jaffe
5. “Balancing the budget is like going to heaven. Everybody wants to do it, but nobody wants to do what you have to do to get there.” – Phil Gramm
6. “That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest.” – Henry David Thoreau
7. “Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.” – Albert Einstein
8. “When you know the impact of little expenses, you will realize that there is nothing little in this world.” – Manoj Arora
9. “It is thrifty to prepare today for the wants of tomorrow.” – Aesop
10. “Saving is the gap between your ego and your income.” – Morgan Housel
11. “If you’re saving, you’re succeeding.” – Steve Burkholder
12. “He who buys what he does not need, steals from himself.” – Swedish Proverb
13. “Becoming rich is hard. Staying broke is hard. Choose your hard.” – Eric Worre
14. “Being a smart shopper is the first step to getting rich.” – Mark Cuban
15. “A dash of frugality is a good thing for everyone.” – Jason Chaffetz
16. “Wealth is largely the result of habit.” – John Jacob Astor
17. “If we command our wealth, we shall be rich and free. If our wealth commands us, we are poor indeed.” – Edmund Burke
18. “Money, like emotions, is something you must control to keep your life on the right track.” – Natasha Munson
Benjamin Franklin, Warren Buffett, and Emily Oster have all made this list of helpful budgeting advice quotes. From things to remember, lessons on saving, and words of warning, this budgeting advice can act as a much-needed voice in your head when you’re steering off the path on your financial journey.
1 “Beware of little expenses; a small leak can sink a great ship.” – Benjamin Franklin
2. “A wise person should have money in their head, but not in their heart.” -Jonathan Swift
3. “If you want creativity, take a zero off your budget. If you want sustainability, take off two zeros.” – Jaime Lerner
4. “Never spend your money before you have earned it.” — Thomas Jefferson
5. “Save money on the big, boring stuff so that you have something left over for life’s little pleasures.” – Elisabeth Leamy
6. “You must gain control over your money or the lack of it will forever control you.” — Dave Ramsey
7. “Just because you can afford it doesn’t mean you should buy it.” – Suze Orman
8. “Do not save what is left after spending, but spend what is left after saving.” – Warren Buffett
9. “Adhering to budgeting rules shouldn’t trump good decision-making.” – Emily Oster
10. “A cardinal rule in budgeting and saving is to pay yourself first. Once your paycheck hits your account, wisdom has it that you should move some amount to savings even before you pay the bills.” – John Rampton
11. “Waste neither time nor money, but make the best use of both.” – Benjamin Franklin
12. “It is critical that kids start to learn the value of money, short-term and long-term saving and budgeting at an early age.” – Alexa Von Tobel
13. “Before you speak, listen. Before you write, think. Before you spend, earn. Before you invest, investigate. Before you criticize, wait. Before you pray, forgive. Before you quit, try. Before you retire, save. Before you die, give.” – William A. Ward
14. “If you wish to get rich, save what you get. A fool can earn money, but it takes a wise man to save and dispose of it to his own advantage.” – Brigham Young
Budgeting is often seen as a serious topic, and quite rightly. Without a clear budget, our finances can get completely out of control. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t have a laugh every so often.
Sometimes adding a dash of humor is exactly what’s needed to help you stick to your goals, speak more openly about your money questions or stay motivated.
1. “They call it a budget so you don’t budge from it.” – Mike Figgis
2. “The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago, the second-best time is now.” – Chinese proverb
3. “I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something.” – Jackie Mason
4. “Money, if it does not bring you happiness, will at least help you be miserable in comfort.” – Helen Gurley Brown
5. “Money in the bank is like toothpaste in the tube. Easy to take out, hard to put back.” – Earl Wilson
6. “A penny saved is worth two pennies earned . . . after taxes.” – Randy Thurman
7. “We didn’t actually overspend our budget. The allocation simply fell short of our expenditure.” – Keith Davis
8. “When I do something stupid with money and lose it, I call that Stupid Tax. I have paid so much Stupid Tax that I am expert.” – Dave Ramsey
9. “Money isn’t the most important thing in life, but it’s reasonably close to oxygen on the ‘gotta have it’ scale.” – Zig Ziglar
What did you think of these 52 budgeting quotes? Whether you were looking for a better understanding of why you need a budget, in need of some motivation, advice, or a little humor, we hope this blog post did the trick!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?