Every day blood transfusions take place and save millions of lives all over the world. However, there are still a number of countries who don’t have adequate number of blood suppliers. Some countries are even relying mostly on blood from people that ask money for their gesture. It’s alarming and saddening that things like this still happens.
Blood donation is a service to humankind. By donating blood, you help someone in need and it can very well save a precious life.
One of the main reasons why people are not donating blood is that some of them are not fully aware of its benefits and some are even afraid to do so because of misinformation. To better understand the concept, we’ve compiled some basic facts about blood donation.
The process is as simple as:
- Mini-physical exam and medical history
- Donation of blood
Who Can Donate Blood?
Donor’s age must be between 18-60 years old and their weight should be more than 45 kgs to be able to donate blood.
How much blood do you donate?
The average adult has about 10 pints of blood in his body. Roughly one pint is given during a donation.
How often can you donate?
A healthy donor may donate blood every 56 days or 8 weeks. However, it is important that you consult your doctor first before donating blood, and to avoid donation if you’re suffering from any disorders.
Health Benefits of Blood Donation:
- Promotes good health
- Aids in weight loss of donors
- Lowers risk of hemochromatosis
- Helps in lowering the risk of cancer
- Boosts production of new blood cells
- Helps prevent heart and liver ailments caused by iron overload
Because of the constant need of blood donations, blood collecting organisations all over the world are trying to reach as many possible donors as they can. In doing so, they use inspiring slogans, motivational quotes, and posters. Here are some of them:
1. Every blood donor is a life saver.
2. Don’t let mosquitoes get your blood first.
3. You don’t have to be somebody’s family member to donate blood.
4. I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat – Winston Churchill
5. You are somebody’s type, Please donate.
6. To whomsoever saved my life – ‘Thank you’ I owe you my blood. – Kid
7. Blood is a life, pass it on!
8. Blood can circulate forever if you keep donating it.
9. The best blood will at some time get into a fool or a mosquito. – Austin O’Malley
10. To give blood you need neither extra strength nor extra food, and you will save a life.
11. To the young and healthy it’s no loss. To sick it’s hope of life. Donate Blood to give back life.
12. Someone’s blood saved my life and made my mom smile – was that you?
13. The blood is red gold in time of saving a life.
14. It feels good, It makes me Proud, I am a blood donor.
15. A life may depend on a gesture from you, a bottle of Blood.
16. Blood donation is the way to stay healthy.
17. Tears of a mother cannot save her Child. But your Blood can.
18. A single pint can save three lives, a single gesture can create a million smiles.
19. The Blood Donor of today may be recipient of tomorrow.
20. Heroes come in all types and sizes.
21. If you’re a blood donor, you’re a hero to someone, somewhere, who received your gracious gift of life.
22. Mother’s tears cannot save her child’s life but your blood can.
23. A bottle of blood saved my life, was it yours?
24. Be a blood donor, be a Hero – A real one.
25. The blood you donate gives someone another chance at life. One day that someone may be a close relative, a friend, a loved one—or even you. – Redcrossblood.org