Johnny Cash was a famous guitarist, singer-songwriter, author, and actor. He is regarded as one of the best-selling music artists of all time with a tremendous sales record of 90 million across the world.
Although he is primarily recognized as a country music icon, his genre does not stop right there. His songs also embraced blues, folk, rock and roll, rockabilly, as well as gospel. This crossover gained him the rare honor of being inducted in Gospel Music, Rock and Roll, and Country Music Halls of Fame.
He is also known for his humble demeanor, giving free prison concerts, and wearing a trademark all-black wardrobe while performing live. This look earned him the nickname of the ‘Man In Black.’
Here are some quotes and thoughts by the famous Johnny Cash about life, music, love, and success.
Table of Contents
Johnny Cash Quotes About Music
1. “I knew I wanted to sing when I was a very small boy. When I was probably 4 years old. My mother played guitar and I would sit with her and she would sing and I learned to sing along with her.”
2. “I start a lot more songs than I finish because I realize when I get into them, they’re no good. I don’t throw them away, I just put them away, store them, get them out of sight.”
3. “When I record somebody else’s song, I have to make it my own or it doesn’t feel right. I’ll say to myself, I wrote this and he doesn’t know it!”
4. “It’s like a novelist writing far out things. If it makes a point and makes sense, then people like to read that. But if it’s off in left field and goes over the edge, you lose it. The same with musical talent, I think.”
5. “God’s the final judge for Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash too. That’s solely in the hands of God.”
6. “I love to go to the studio and stay there 10 or 12 hours a day. I love it. What is it? I don’t know. It’s life.”
7. “That was the big thing when I was growing up, singing on the radio. The extent of my dream was to sing on the radio station in Memphis. Even when I got out of the Air Force in 1954, I came right back to Memphis and started knocking on doors at the radio station.”
8. “You’ve got a song you’re singing from your gut, you want that audience to feel it in their gut. And you’ve got to make them think that you’re one of them sitting out there with them too. They’ve got to be able to relate to what you’re doing.”
Johnny Cash Quotes About Life
1. “How well I have learned that there is no fence to sit on between heaven and hell. There is a deep, wide gulf, a chasm, and in that chasm is no place for any man.”
2. “God gives us life and takes us away as He sees fit.”
3. “For you I know I’d even try to turn the tide.”
4. “I am not a Christian artist, I am an artist who is a Christian.”
5. “The things that have always been important: to be a good man, to try to live my life the way God would have me, to turn it over to Him that His will might be worked in my life, to do my work without looking back, to give it all I’ve got, and to take pride in my work as an honest performer.”
6. “Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is a nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight.”
Johnny Cash Quotes About Love
1. “My father was a man of love. He always loved me to death. He worked hard in the fields, but my father never hit me. Never. I don’t ever remember a really cross, unkind word from my father.”
2. “Of emotions, of love, of a breakup, of love and hate and death and dying, mama, apple pie, and the whole thing. It covers a lot of territories, country music does.”
3. “When my wife died, I booked myself into the studio just to work, to occupy myself.”
Johnny Cash Quotes About Success
1. “You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don’t try to forget the mistakes, but you don’t dwell on it. You don’t let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.”
2. “You’ve got to know your limitations. I don’t know what your limitations are. I found out what mine was when I was twelve. I found out that there weren’t too many limitations if I did it my way.”
3. “Success is having to worry about every damn thing in the world, except money.”
Johnny Cash, More Quotes And Sayings
1. “I read novels but I also read the Bible. And study it, you know? And the more I learn, the more excited I get.”
2. “People call me wild. Not really though, I’m not. I guess I’ve never been normal, not what you call Establishment. I’m country.”
3. “I’m very shy really. I spend a lot of time in my room alone reading or writing or watching television.”
4. “I was wearing black clothes almost from the beginning. I feel comfortable in black. I felt like black looked good onstage, that it was attractive, so I started wearing it all the time.”
5. “I wear black because I’m comfortable with it. But then in the summertime when it’s hot I’m comfortable in light blue.”
If you would like to know more about the life and works of the famous “Man in Black,” we would suggest you read Cash: The Autobiography.
Affordable, private online counseling.