Nature’s best gift for humankind is the ability to create, build, and maintain deep, long-lasting connections with other humans.
Check out in this article,125 of the best quotes about friendship. Get inspired and arm yourself with tools that are instrumental in achieving the outcome you want:
- Stay connected,
- Feel loved,
- Improve your sense of belonging,
- Increase your knowledge and the feeling that your life makes a difference.
These days many people suffer from loneliness. Most of them are not lonely because they don’t have what it takes to be a good friend, but because life pulls them in all sorts of directions, pushing them to move faster and faster.
The 125 quotes about friendship in this article, are meant to help you hit the brakes, take a moment of reflection, and bring back into your life this great gift: friendship.
Life is a journey. The fastest your move through it, the unfulfilled you may feel. Hit the brakes and take this journey with patience, enjoy the scenery, cherish the present moment, and remind herself that your best asset and help in this journey are the people surrounding you.
Your friends and family are the spices that make your life taste (exquisitely) beautiful.
Remind yourself at every step in this journey that friendship is a two ways street, and your relationships survive and flourish if you put some dedication and attention into them; if you neglect them, they neglect you as well.
Use these 125 quotes about friendship to nourish your relationships and become a better friend, raise your expectations standard so you can (correctly) sort out who are the people that have a place in your life.
Use these 125 quotes about friendship to refine and improve the most essential friendship you should have, the relationship with yourself. Be your own best friend and you know how to be the best friend for another person.
Some people are collectors of friendships but not friends; that means they are interested only about how many people they can say are friends with them. Avoid becoming a collector, aspire to become the best friend of a few people… those people that fit perfectly into your life and alongside your in the journey of life.
At the end of the day, only those who know how to be a friend can recognize when someone offers them their friendship.
Use these 125 quotes about friendship and improve your knowledge of how to create, build, and maintain deep, long-lasting, and meaningful friendships.
1. Friendship is a sheltering tree. – Samuel Taylor
2. Friendship is held to be the severest test of character. – Charles Eastman
3. A man’s friendships are one of the best measures of his worth. – Charles Darwin
4. I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light. – Helen Keller
5. Friendship isn’t a big thing it’s a million little things.
6. A good friend is like a four-leaf clover; hard to find and lucky to have. – Irish Proverb
7. A friend is what the heart needs all the time. – Henry Van Dyke
Are you rich? Good, but not too relevant for your happiness. Are you smart? Excellent, but not too relevant for your well-being. Are you a modern technology savvy? Marvelous, but not too relevant for your health.
What makes the positive characteristics (from above) relevant is to have loved ones with whom to share them.
The wealthiest person in the world is not the person with a fat bank account, but that person who has real friends. The smartest person in the world is not the one with the highest IQ, but the one gathering around them trustworthy friends. The same goes for almost everything else. Do you agree?
Unfortunately, our modern times came with an illness that can take hold of you, like a creepy snake: Loneliness.
We need friends as we need water and air. Is it not?
8. A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow. – William Shakespeare
9. True friendship can afford true knowledge. It does not depend on darkness and ignorance. – Henry David Thoreau
10. The secret to friendship is being a good listener.
11. A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you. – Elbert Hubbard
12. Friends are medicine for a wounded heart and vitamins for a hopeful soul. – Steve Maraboli
13. Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart. – Eleanor Roosevelt
14. Strangers are just friends waiting to happen.
15. A friend is one who believes in you when you have ceased to believe in yourself.
16. Friendship at first sight, like love at first sight, is said to be the only truth. – Herman Melville
17. There cannot be friendship without equality. – Swami Sivananda
18. The road to a friend’s house is never long. – Danish Proverb
19. A friend is one of the nicest things you can have and one of the best things you can be. – Winnie The Pooh
20. A friend is a gift you give yourself. – Robert Louis Stevenson
Are you curious why people are so sensitive about being judged or rejected? And then, become too self-conscious? The answer lies in our ability to make and maintain friendships. For generations upon generations, the human lived in close communities and being judged or rejected made that community seem smaller and smaller.
To this day we are sensitive to these things because one of the biggest wishes in life is to be connected.
Having friends is a gift you give yourself because the power to make friends is yours; You choose them; you love them; you attract them.
21. Misfortune tests the sincerity of friends. – Aesop
22. The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. – Audrey Hepburn
23. The ideal friendship is to feel as one while remaining two. – Sophie Swetchine
24. One measure of friendship consists not in the number of things friends can discuss, but in the number of things they need no longer mention. – Clifton Fadiman
25. The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart. – Elisabeth Foley
26. A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself – and especially to feel, or not feel. Whatever you happen to be feeling at any moment is fine with them. – Jim Morrison
27. Friendship with oneself is all-important, because without it one cannot be friends with anyone else in the world. – Eleanor Roosevelt
28. One of the most beautiful qualities of true friendship is to understand and to be understood. – Lucius Annaeus Seneca
29. We live, in fact, in a world starved for solitude, silence, and private: and therefore starved for meditation and true friendship. – C.S. Lewis
30. Friendship is essentially a partnership. – Aristotle
31. Hold a true friend with both your hands. – Nigerian Proverb
32. Let there be no purpose in friendship save the deepening of the spirit. – Kahlil Gibran
33. Friendship consists in forgetting what one gives and remembering what one receives. – Alexander Dumas
34. A true friend is the best Possession. – Ben Franklin
35. There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven’t yet met. – William Butler Yeats
36. The most I can do for my friend is simply to be his friend. I have no wealth to bestow on him. If he knows that I am happy in loving him, he will want no other reward. Is not friendship divine in this? – Henry David Thoreau
37. Friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity. – Khalil Gibran
38. As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was going to happen. – Winnie The Pooh
39. Sometimes being a friend means mastering the art of timing. There is a time for silence. A time to let go and allow people to hurl themselves into their own destiny. And a time to prepare to pick up the pieces when it’s all over. – Octavia Butler
40. Keep your friendships in repair. – Samuel Butler
41. I don’t like that man. I must get to know him better. – Abraham Lincoln
42. There are no rules for friendship. It must be left to itself. – William Hazlitt
43. Friends are God’s way of taking care of us.
44. My friends are my estate. – Emily Dickinson
45. Friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity. – Kahlil Gibran
46. A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you. – Elbert Hubbard
47. If there ever comes a day when we can’t be together, keep me in your heart, I’ll stay there forever. – Winnie The Pooh
48. Friendship is the source of the greatest pleasures, and without friends even the most agreeable pursuits become tedious. – Thomas Aquinas
49. A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.
50. The real test of friendship is can you literally do nothing with the other person? Can you enjoy those moments of life that are utterly simple? – Eugene Kennedy
51. A friend is one before whom I may think aloud. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
52. Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light. – Helen Keller
53. One friend in a storm is worth more than a thousand friends in sunshine. – Matshona Dhliwayo
54. Some people go to priests; others to poetry; I to my friends. – Virginia Woolf
55. Anybody can sympathize with the sufferings of a friend, but it requires a very fine nature to sympathize with a friend’s success. – Oscar Wilde
56. Friends are proved by adversity. – Cicero
57. Friends… they cherish one another’s hopes. They are kind to one another’s dreams. – Henry David Thoreau
58. Friendship is one mind in two bodies. – Mencius
59. Be true to your work, your word, and your friend. – Henry David Thoreau
60. Love is friendship on fire. – Susan Sontag
61. Friendship consists in forgetting what one gives and remembering what one receives. – Alexander Dumas
62. Friendship is the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words. – George Eliot
63. The best cure for a bad day is a good friend.
64. The best mirror is an old friend. – George Herbert
65. My definition of a friend is somebody who adores you even though they know the things you’re most ashamed of. – Jodie Foster
66. I get by with a little help from my friends. – The Beatles
67. Friendship marks a life even more deeply than love. Love risks degenerating into obsession, friendship is never anything but sharing. – Elie Wiesel
68. Man’s best support is a very dear friend. – Cicero
69. Friendships are discovered rather than made. – Harriet Beecher Stowe
70. The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. – Bob Marley
71. Truth springs from argument amongst friends. – David Hume
72. Friendship is something that creates equality and mutuality, not a reward for finding equality or a way of intensifying existing mutuality. – Rowan Williams
73. Little friends may prove great friends. – Aesop
74. I have learned that to be with those I like is enough. – Walt Whitman
75. I don’t need a friend who changes when I change and who nods when I nod; my shadow does that much better. – Plutarch
76. Good friends help you find important things when you have lost them. Your smile, you hope, and your courage.
77. Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life. – Mark Twain
78. Opposition is true friendship. – William Blake
79. A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself. – Jim Morrison
80. Rare as is true love, true friendship is rarer. – Jean de La Fontaine
81. A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
82. A loyal friend laughs at your jokes when they’re not so good, and sympathizes with your problems when they’re not so bad. – Arnold Glasgow
83. If you have one true friend you have more than your share. – Thomas Fuller
84. Remember, no man is a failure who has friends.
85. It’s the friends you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter. – Marlene Dietrich
86. No friendship is an accident. – O. Henry
87. Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends? – Abraham Lincoln
88. Keep your friends close, your enemies even closer. – Sun Tzu
89. Friendship is a plant of slow growth and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation. – George Washington
90. A friend to all is a friend to none. – Aristotle
91. No better relation than a prudent and faithful friend. – Ben Franklin
92. Do not save your loving speeches for your friends till they are dead; do not write them on their tombstones, speak them rather now instead. – Anna Cummins
93. Between friends, words are optional.
94. Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together. – Woodrow Wilson
95. Of all possessions a friend is the most precious. – Herodotus
96. Though friendship is not quick to burn, it is explosive stuff. – May Sarton
97. There is nothing on this earth more to be prized than true friendship. – Thomas Aquinas
98. The only way to have a friend is to be one. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
99. Friendship is a wildly underrated medication. – Anna Deavere Smith
100. The language of friendship is not words but meanings. – Henry David Thoreau
101. Friendship is the shadow of the evening, which strengthens with the setting sun of life. – Jean de La Fontaine
102. Keep the ones that heard you when you never said a word.
103. Life is an awful, ugly place to not have a best friend. – Sarah Dessen
104. Friends are the family you choose.
105. Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself. – Confucius
106. Don’t walk behind me; I may not lead. Don’t walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend. – Albert Camus
107. Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together. – Woodrow Wilson
108. Constant use had not worn ragged the fabric of their friendship. – Dorothy Parker
109. Most of us don’t need a psychiatric therapist as much as a friend to be silly with. – Robert Brault
110. Be slow to fall into friendship, but when thou art in, continue firm and constant. – Socrates
111. Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one. – C.S. Lewis
112. Friendship is like money, easier made than kept. – Samuel Butler
113. How distant I am from people when I am with them, and how close when they are far away. – Khalil Gibran
114. Friendship isn’t about who you’ve known the longest, it’s about who walked into your life, said ‘I’m here for you,’ and proved it.
115. There are some people in life that make you laugh a little louder, smile a little bigger, and live just a little bit better.
116. Friendship is not always the sequel of obligation. – Samuel Johnson
117. The language of friendship is not words but meanings. – Henry David Thoreau
118. True friendship comes when the silence between two people is comfortable. – David Tyson Gentry
119. I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
120. Friendship is what gets you through the bad times and helps you enjoy the good times.
121. Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. – Aristotle
122. Friends make the good things better and the bad things not so bad.
123. Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It’s not something you learn in school. But if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven’t learned anything. – Muhammad Ali
124. Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born. – Anais Nin
125. Friendship is like money, easier made than kept. – Samuel Butler
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?